Cosmopolitan Magazine has let us in on some amazing tips to keep that spray tan looking like new for longer! With 10 handy tips for pre and post tan we agree that they help keep a longer lasting tan!
1. Cool showers. Hot baths can dehydrate your skin, leading to faster peeling. Stick to cool showers and use a moisturising shower oil to really lock-down your colour. We like The Sanctuary 2 Day Moisture Shower Oil, £6.99.
2. Moisturise, moisturise, moisturise! There's no better way to hang on to sexy summer skin than by slathering on the lotion. Post-holiday you should upgrade to a body butter and lotion-up every day. The Body Shop Coconut Shimmer Body Butter, £13, not only drenches skin in moisture, it also smells of hot beaches and sun cream – putting you right back in the holiday zone
3. Exfoliate. It can feel like the last thing on your mind but it's important to give your body a weekly exfoliation to help remove dull, parched surface cells and prepare the skin for the self-tanning to come. Liz Earle Energising Body Scrub, £14, is gentle and packed with mood-boosting essential oils too.
4. Facial self-tan. Your face is the first thing people notice about you and a sun-kissed complexion makes you look fresh-from-the-plane pretty. In our experience, many gradual tans for face are so subtle we hardly notice them. Use a regular facial self-tan whenever you need a real boost. We rate Chanel Soleil Identite, £26.
5. Gradual tan. The secret to extending your tan is to create a simple ritual that's easy to maintain. A gradual tan is what's needed here: something you can slap on as readily as a body lotion, straight after your morning shower, and get dressed without waiting for it to dry. The subtle colour will enhance your tan without looking overdone and you can reapply every two days without streaks. Here on the beauty desk, we reach for Dove Summer Glow Deep, £4.99.
6. Bronzer. Use a matte bronzer like Rimmel Natural Bronzer, £5.59, to help recreate that 'perched at the beach-bar all-day' look. The trick is to swirl it where the sun naturally hits – the forehead, temples, nose and cheekbones – rather than all-over.
7. Baby Oil Spray. Here's a trick we use on beauty shoots: glistening limbs look leaner and sexier. A spritz of Johnsons Baby Light Oil Spray, £2.99, over arms and legs will help your tan come back to life.
8. Eat beta-carotenes. Various studies have shown that a diet rich in beta-carotenes (a type of red-orange pigment) can recreate the glow of sun-kissed skin from within. Amaze! The best natural sources are sweet potatoes, apricots, mangoes and especially carrots. So be sure to pack your meals with these sunshine-coloured fruits and veg.
9. Drink water. Don't slack-off drinking water just because you're not in 30 degree heat. Keeping hydrated can help prolong the life of all cells (including those nicely tanned cells at the surface) and also plump and smooth the skin.
10. Wear white. Finally, it's a tried-and-tested trick for giving the illusion of darker skin: simply wear a white or lighter shade next to your face. A crisp white shirt, bronzer and pink lipgloss is one of the best mood-boosting combos we know!
Can't forget to add our special tip by using a Little Tanning Dress to ensure your tan turns out blot and mark free!